Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Cardboard - The new wood


When my mother told me that I should check out the new cardboard furniture designs I decided to humor her and pretend to be interested. How could card board furniture be anything but run of the mill, low cost student type furniture that you could dump your beer on and not worry about the stain after ward, because you were only going to toss it to the end of the curb for the garbage man to pick up at the end of the year?


Well I was so very wrong. Not only are some of the designs fantastic but you can't scoff at the price either. There is far less impact on the environment in comparison to buying the same type of furniture composed of wood, it's biodegradable and extremely sturdy.


So far from what I've seen my favourite designs come from the Hungarian carpenter and artist duo, Edith Szilvasy and Andras Balogh. Over the past 3 years they have managed to take cardboard building to the next level by inventing a system of constructing furniture that uses only cardboard and ordinary paper clips. But by the looks of it those 3 years were time well spent. Andras developed a method of folding and clipping the cardboard so that their finished products are as strong as wood and as light as paper as well as simple to assemble. I'm in love with the above menagerie design.


You can find their work at Karton Art Design.

No comments:

Post a Comment