Friday, July 23, 2010

Complex Simplicity = Jim Houser


Tonight I'm lacking inspiration. Here I sit, at my cluttered desk, dinning on lemon gelato thinking... damn I wish I had something to paint. The truth is I have plenty to paint. I just don't want to paint them. I'm fairly certain I would be the worst commission artist ever. Or maybe not. If I were commissioned I'd have money as a motivation wouldn't I? If I'm painting for free I may as well paint what I want to paint... right?

Getting to my point, I went surfing for some visual stimuli and I found Jim Houser. Normally if I were to look at Jim's work on an individual basis my immediate response to it would be, nice use of colour, great composition, belongs in a child's bedroom, would never buy it. However what Jim's paintings lack in complexity he makes up for in presentation. The trick to his art work is owning 5 or more pieces and displaying them exactly how Jim intended them on being displayed.

I would pay a lot of money to see a gallery set up by Mr. Houser. His compositions are nothing short of genius. As he states himself "It's not just a place to come see a bunch of little objects. It's a place to come see one big object" Well said. His gallery is composed of a million little simple images that create a giant work of art. Watch the video and see what I mean. Stimulation accomplished.


No comments:

Post a Comment